Skip to main content

Hororata hall memorial

Image
Image
Image
Image

The Hororata public hall was enlarged in 1954 by the addition of a memorial lounge or meeting room. The plaque unveiled at the time pays tribute to the efforts of the whole community during the war years. It reads:

THIS LOUNGE WAS ERECTED TO / COMMEMORATE THE SERVICE / RENDERED TO THEIR COUNTRY / BY THE / PEOPLE OF THE DISTRICT / DURING THE YEARS / 1939 – 1945 / LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER / SEE THAT THIS SERVICE / IS NOT FORGOTTEN / AUGUST 1954.

The Hororata district rolls of honour for the two world wars are displayed in the main body of the hall. The First World War roll of honour lists the names of 68 men who served during the war; the Second World War roll of honour lists 63 names.

Credit

Images and text: Bruce Ringer, 2017

How to cite this page

Hororata hall memorial, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/hororata-hall-memorial, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords