Skip to main content

Marumaru Memorial Hall


The Marumaru Memorial Hall is a plain but substantial building which stands in isolation beside the Tinoroto Road about 17 km outside Wairoa. It was erected by members of the Marumaru Memorial Hall Association, formed in 1951.

A wooden dedicatory tablet inside lists the names of six local men who gave their lives during the Second World War: “This building was erected / in memory of / W. Edwards / D.H.S. Glynan / J. Peebles / D. Stanley / C.H. Twigg / D. Frith. / 1939 – 1945 / ‘Their Names Liveth.’ “

The hall may in future be moved to Frasertown.


Main image and text: Bruce Ringer, 2016; roll of honour: Jane Read, 2018

How to cite this page

Marumaru Memorial Hall, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated