Skip to main content

Miranda cemetery war memorial


The Miranda War Memorial Hall was formally opened on 25 November 1955. A brass memorial plaque was unveiled in the vestibule of the hall listing the names of three local men who had given their lives in the First World War and eight who had given their lives in the Second World War.

By the 1990s the hall was little used. Franklin District Council sold it to a private buyer in 1998, and it was later burnt down (providing practice for the local fire brigade). In anticipation of the sale, some time before April 1997 the plaque was transferred to a new war memorial in the nearby Miranda cemetery.

This consisted of a low stone wall, a seat, and a tree. The plaque was attached to one end of the wall.

The Second World War surnames listed on the plaque are the same as those on the Miranda-Mangatangi roll of honour in the Mangatangi hall, although ranks and some extra initials have been added to the Miranda roll, the name H. Phipps has been corrected to H.L Philp, and the name K.T. Waata has been added (Private Kena Tangaroa Waata, from Kaiaua, was killed in the Western Desert on 15 December 1941).

Sources: Miranda Memorial Hall committee minute book, 1943-1994 (Rangipo Museum); Kaiaua Miranda Schools Centennial, 1883-1983, Kaiaua, 1983, p. 40; Franklin District Council, Miranda War Memorial Hall file, P525-04-MOI (Auckland Council archives); New Zealand Cenotaph Database.


Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2014.

Find out more about the people listed on this memorial from Auckland Museum's Cenotaph database

How to cite this page

Miranda cemetery war memorial, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated