Skip to main content

Pae-o-te-Riri memorial classroom, Tikitiki

The new classroom block at Tikitiki School was opened on 26 March 1940. The ceremony was attended by more than of 500 people including a busload of Ngāti Porou recruits to C Company Māori Battalion who were on their way to Gisborne. Their leader, Lieutenant Parekura Tureia, an old boy of the school, declared the building open and unveiled a tablet bearing its name, Pae-o-te-Riri (‘The battle front”).

It is unclear whether or not the building was actually consecrated as a war memorial, but the name was clearly chosen to acknowledge the deeds of local soldiers.

See: ‘New Native School: Open-air Building: Tikitiki Opening’, Gisborne Herald, 29/3/1940; Monty Soutar, Nga Tama Toa: The Price of Citizenship, Auckland, 2008, pp. 70, 367.

Credit

Image and text: Bruce Ringer, 2016

How to cite this page

Pae-o-te-Riri memorial classroom, Tikitiki, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/pae-o-te-riri-memorial-classroom-tikitiki, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords