Skip to main content

Pirongia war memorial

Image
Image
Image
Image

Pirongia war memorial, c1986 (top) and 2013 as well as the rolls of hour inside the hall.

The Pirongia War Memorial Hall was opened on 16 August 1922. Two marble tablets flanking the entrance were unveiled during the ceremony. These listed 42 men from the district who had given their lives. At the opening ceremony, it was suggested that a third panel with another six names might be added later, but this did not eventuate.

The hall was rededicated as a war memorial in 1946, when two smaller marble panels listing the names of 13 men who had died during the Second World War were added to the roll of honour. (The names on all four panels were duplicated on two wooden tablets inside the hall.)

A display board with the military records and in most cases the photographs of the 48 men from the district who died during the First World War was installed in the hall in 2016.

Sources: ‘“Lest We Forget”: War Memorial: Unveiling of Tablets: Opening of New Hall’, Waipa Post, 17/8/1922; Pirongia District Centenary, 14 November 1964, Te Awamutu, 1964, p. 15; Ngaire Mabel Phillips, Pirongia School: Centennial Celebrations, 1873-1973, Pirongia, 1973, p. 46; Alan Hall, WWI Roll of Honour: Pirongia and District, Te Awamutu, 2016.

Credit

Top image: Jock Phillips and Chris Maclean, c1986

Other images: Ang Wickham, 2013 (see original on Flickr); Bruce Ringer, 2014; Allan Hall (photo board), 2016.

Text: Bruce Ringer, 2017.

Find out more about the men listed on this memorial from Auckland Museum's Cenotaph database.

How to cite this page

Pirongia war memorial, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/pirongia-first-world-war-memorial, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords