Skip to main content

Skinner Road Memorial Hall, Stratford

Image
Image
Image

This hall was built by the residents of the Skinner Road area to the south-east of Stratford. It was opened by Mr W.T. Anderton, Minister of Internal Affairs, on 9 August 1958.

The First World War roll of honour lists 35 local men who served, two of whom were killed in action. The Second World War roll of honour lists 23 names, three of whom were killed in action (and another two of whom in fact served in Korea).

The hall was moved to the Stratford A & P Showgrounds in May 1999.

See: ‘Result of Three Years Work’, Taranaki Daily News, 11/8/1958, p. 8; ‘Skinner Road War Memorial Hall’ [heritage study, Stratford District Council, 1999]; ‘Skinners Road Memorial Hall’, Kete New Plymouth (accesses ‘New Hall’ [photographs], Photo News, 4/9/1958).

Credit

Bruce Ringer, 2017

How to cite this page

Skinner Road Memorial Hall, Stratford, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/skinner-road-memorial-hall-stratford, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords