Skip to main content

St George's memorial altar, Thames


A First World War memorial altar and accompanying memorial plaque were blessed in St George’s Anglican Church, Thames, in 1922. The plaque bears the names of 19 former parishioners who gave their lives. The altar and plaque can still be seen in the church today, although the sanctuary was substantially redeveloped between 1980 and 1983.

Sources: St George’s Parish, Thames, 1968-1968, Thames, 1968, p. 56; Saint George’s Church Thames Anglican Parish, 1872-1997, Thames, 1997, pp. 17, 33-4; From Gold Mine to Firing Line: ‘The Thames’ and the Great War, ed. Megan Hawkes, Thames, 2014, pp. 89-90.


Images and text: Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2014

Image of plaque: Meghan Hawkes (ed) (2014) From Gold Mine to Firing Line: 'The Thames' and the Great War 1914-1918, Coromandel Heritage Trust

How to cite this page

St George's memorial altar, Thames, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated