Skip to main content

Trevor Kemp Memorial


After the Second World War, memorial gates were built at the entrance to the Howick Bowling and Croquet Club in Uxbridge Road. These were donated to the club by local residents Arthur and Kate Kemp in honour of their son, Trevor. A plaque on one of the pillars read: “In memory of / Fl/Sgt. Trevor Arthur Kemp / R.N.Z.A.F. / killed on active service / 24th November, 1943. / He did his duty / Erected by his parents”.

The gates were demolished in 1959 when the club moved to a new site in Nixon Park. The plaque was preserved, however, and today stands at the foot of a flagpole outside the new clubrooms.

See: Howick Bowling and Croquet Club Inc: 75th Jubilee, 1907-1982, Howick, 1982, p. 27; Cenotaph Database.


Main image: Main image and information: Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2014. BW image: Trevor Arthur Kemp memorial plaque, ca 1956 (courtesy Howick Historical Society/Auckland Libraries Footprints 01937); 

How to cite this page

Trevor Kemp Memorial, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated