Skip to main content

A Carter

Signed family name
Signed given name
Given address
Panama House Blenheim
Sheet number

Biographical information provided by Briar Barry for the He Tohu exhibition:

Mrs Carter was the conductor of Panama House, a large wooden building that was constructed in 1888 to serve as a boarding house. It was built by Caleb Davis for George Carter (Mrs Carter’s husband) after his first hotel, The Criterion, burnt down in 1887. Panama House no longer stands but was located where the Clubs of Marlborough are now on Alfred Street in Blenheim. It was gifted from the Caleb Davis estate to the RSA in 1918 and then served as a home for wounded First World War soldiers.  

Click on sheet number to see the 1893 petition sheet this signature appeared on. Digital copies of the sheets supplied by Archives New Zealand.