Silverdale war memorial

Dedication Plaque Roll of Honour Roll of Honour Roll of Honour Roll of Honour Roll of Honour

This memorial stands outside the original home of the Silverdale RSA at Silverdale War Memorial Park on the Hibiscus Coast highway. The RSA is now at Viponds Rd, Stanmore Bay, Whangaparaoa where there is a new cenotaph.

The Silverdale First World War memorial was erected outside the Wade Hotel and overlooking the old Silverdale bridge in December 1922. The tall, slender, granite cenotaph was inscribed with the names of seven men who had given their lives and 30 others who had also served.

In November 1949 the local RSA bought land for a war memorial park on the Great north Road and vested it in Waitemata County Council. The park was formally opened on 5 April 1953. The cenotaph had been shifted to the entrance of the park.

The new memorial gates include brass plaques listing the names of the district’s 14 fallen from the Second World War and 57 who also served.

Sources: ‘Silverdale News: District War Memorial’, NZ Herald, 11/12/1922, p. 8; ‘Silverdale War Memorial Park’, Rodney & Waitemata Times, 10/4/1968; From the Wade to Silverdale: A Local History of the District and its School, Silverdale, 1996, pp. 30-1.

Community contributions

1 comment has been posted about Silverdale war memorial

What do you know?

toni Cooke

Posted: 24 Dec 2010

The original site of the Silverdale War Memorial was above the Silverdale Wharf, on the east side of the road, below the Silverdale Pub. Many of the young men who left for WW1 left on the ferry from the Silverdale Wharf. Said good bye to their families there. The War Memorial was moved to the football club site after the new road was built, so that passers by could see it.