Christchurch industrial suburb west of Sydenham. It grew around the Addington railway station, which opened in the 1860s. The railway workshops were Christchurch’s largest industry for many years. Christchurch’s new railway station opened on part of the former workshops land in 1993. Also bearing the Addington name were the stock saleyards, show grounds and trotting race course.

Meaning of place name
Named after Addington Palace near Croydon, Sussex, the summer reidence of the Archbishops of Canterbury during the 19th century. When the Canterbury Association was formed in 1848, the Archbishop of Canterbury at the time, John Bird Sumner, was one of the foundation members