Locality in Tasman district. Langford’s store at Bainham opened in 1928, and in 2010 remained an old-fashioned country store. Edward Bates Langford, known as EB, was the postmaster. In 1947 his granddaughter Lorna began helping out while she was still doing her secondary schooling by correspondence. She ended up working there for 61 years, and after she retired in 2008 the store still remained in family hands, run by EB’s great-granddaughter Sukhita Langford.

Meaning of place name
The locality takes its names from its first European settlers, Bain and Graham. The name had originally been called Riverdale, but was changed to avoid confusion with Riversdale in Southland

Images and media for bainham