caroline bay

After the construction of Timaru’s artificial harbour, currents created a sandy beach under the cliffs, inviting bathers and visitors. The borough council leased the new foreshore from the harbour board in 1902 and decided to turn the bay into a European-style beach resort. Tea rooms, a hot-water swimming pool and a band rotunda were built. A ‘sound shell’ (for concerts) replaced the rotunda in 1937. Later, a piazza was built to improve access to the bay from the top of Bay Hill. Christmas carnivals have been held at Caroline Bay since 1911, attracting thousands.

Meaning of place name
The name derives from a ship: possibly an early whaling vessel; most likely the barque Caroline that was recorded at Lyttelton Harbour in September 1836 under Samuel Cherry master; or a ship owned by Robert Campbell of R. Cambell and Company, Sydney.

Images and media for caroline bay