fortrose

The small, windswept settlement of Fortrose sits near a lagoon at the mouth of the Mataura River on Toetoes Bay, in Southland's south-east. The site of an early Māori settlement and a whaling station for a couple of years in the 1830s, it thrived as a port until the railway from Invercargill reached it in 1899, making it practical to ship goods through the larger port at Bluff.

Meaning of place name
Named after the borough of Fortrose on Moray Firth, near Inverness, Scotland. The original Fortrose comes from two Gaelic words meaning Place near the promontory.

Images and media for fortrose