Historic town on the banks of the Kaipara River, at the southern end of the Kaipara Harbour, 50 km north-west of Auckland. From 1863 it became a major port for the timber trade, providing shipping services around the Kaipara, and to west coast ports and Sydney. Once the logging days were over, Helensville turned to dairy and sheep farming.

Meaning of place name
Formerly known as Awaroa, the town was renamed after Helen McLeod, wife of pioneering timber miller John McLeod.