Skip to main content

Hikurangi

Township 16 km north of Whāngārei.  The area had rich coal seams, which were mined from the 1890s. The railway was extended from Whāngārei to Waro (just north of Hikurangi) in 1894. The town also became the centre for a dairy farming district. It became part of Whāngārei district in 1989, and a museum records its early history.

Meaning of place name
Translates as: hiku - point or summit; rangi - sky