Skip to main content

Seddon

Township 24 km south of Blenheim, on the south bank of the Awatere River, about 7 km from the coast. In 1899 the government broke the 14,000-hectare Starborough estate into holdings averaging 1 square mile (260 ha) as part of the government’s closer settlement policy, and laid out a township named for the premier (like neighbouring Ward, named for his cabinet colleague).
Meaning of place name
Named for Premier Richard John Seddon, who took some part in the subdivision of the large runholdings.