Addington church memorial gates

Addington church memorial gates


Anglican Archbishop Churchill Julius dedicated a memorial lych-gate outside St Mary the Virgin, Addington, on 2 October 1921. This was constructed from Halswell stone, with facings of Timaru stone and an upper section of black-stained pine. It was dedicated to all the soldiers of Addington. The memorial tablet was inscribed: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / IN MEMORY OF / THE BOYS OF ADDINGTON / WHO FOUGHT IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918. / "THEY PLAYED THE MEN FOR OUR / PEOPLE AND FOR THE CITIES / OF OUR GOD."

The Biblical text is from 2 Samuel 10:12.

Among the memorial tablets inside the church is one dedicated to New Zealand soldiers who fell in the South African War. This was unveiled on 2 September 1901. The St Marys bell-tower was dedicated on 22 December 1907 as a memorial to former Prime Minister R.J. Seddon, who had frequently attended the church (his eldest daughter Jeannie was married to long-serving vicar Walter Bean).

Sources: 'A memorial tablet', Evening Star, 2/9/1901, p. 6; 'Seddon memorial belfry', Press, 23/12/1907, p. 3;  'Addington memorial: dedication of lych-gate', Press, 3/10/1921, p. 8; 'Lych-gate at St Mary's', Star (Christchurch), 3/10/1921, p. 6; W.H. Scotter, The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Addington, 1867-1967, Christchurch, 1967, pp. 19-21; Heritage New Zealand, Church of St Mary the Virgin Historic Area, Wellington, 2003; John Wilson, Local Lives: A History of Addington, Christchurch, 2018, pp 135-43. 

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Addington church memorial gates

What do you know?