Skip to main content

Camp of the 40th Regiment 1863

Image

Camp of the 40th Regiment, Imperial Forces, at Baird’s farm, Ramarama (south of Drury), South Auckland, photographed in 1863 or 1864 by William Temple.

Construction of the Great South Road had begun in January 1862. Each regiment was responsible for a section of the road, on which every available soldier was deployed. On average 1700 men worked on the road each day.

Credit

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PA1-q-250-34
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any reuse of this image.

How to cite this page

Camp of the 40th Regiment 1863, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/camp-40th-regiment-1863, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated