Justin McCarthy's painting, Camp Waitira, shows Pukekohe Camp at Waitara.
Following the declaration of martial law in February 1860 British troops occupied the disputed land at Waitara. Camp Waitara was established under the command of Major Thomas Nelson and occupied by men of the 65th Regiment.
Fighting commenced nearby in March 1860 when Maori built Te Kohia pā.
Alexander Turnbull Library
Artist: McCarthy, Justin E D
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
How to cite this page
'Camp Waitara painting', URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/camp-waitara-painting, (Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated 23-Jun-2014