Skip to main content

Imperial Camel Corps memorial in London

Image

Camel Corps memorial Camel Corps memorial Camel Corps memorial

The Imperial Camel Corps Memorial is located in Victoria Gardens, Thames Embankment, London. It was officially unveiled in 1921 by Lieutenant-General Sir Philip Chetwode, who had been the first commander of the Desert Mounted Corps, which included the Imperial Camel Corps Brigade. The man who had commanded the Brigade throughout its existence, Brigadier-General Clement Smith, was there too, as were many other former cameliers. Also present were the New Zealand and Australian prime ministers of the day, William Massey and Billy Hughes.

Bronze plaques on the front and rear of the upper plinth list the names of all the men who died while serving with the Imperial Camel Corps, including the 41 New Zealand dead (grouped together on the rear plaque). On the two sides of the upper plinth are bronze raised reliefs depicting typical cameliers, with one side showing a New Zealand and Australian camelier together. The bottom plinth includes the engraved dedication (see main text) on one side and, on the other, a list of all the principal actions the Corps took part in during the campaigns in Egypt, Sinai and Palestine.

Credit

Damien Fenton (text) & Kynan Gentry (photographs), 2009

See also an historical image of this memorial

How to cite this page

Imperial Camel Corps memorial in London, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/imperial-camel-corps-memorial-london, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated