Kamo and District War Memorial Hall

Memorial plaque

The Kamo and District War Memorial Hall was opened by local MP Mr D.N. McKay on 16 March 1957. At the time, it was suggested that a district roll of honour would be erected in the hall within a few weeks. However, the Kamo Town Council subsequently decided not to compile a roll of honour in case anyone was missed out. A dedicatory tablet presented by Thomas Griffin Esq. was installed in the hall instead. This reads:

“Lest / we / forget / 1914 - 1918 / In honoured memory / of the men and women / of Kamo / and district who made / the supreme sacrifice / for their country / 1939 - 1945”.

Sources: ‘Kamo’s War Memorial Hall’, Northern Advocate, 14/3/1957, p. 9; ‘Kamo War Memorial Now Completed’, Auckland Star, 14/3/1957; ‘Kamo Memorial Hall Opened’, Northern Advocate, 18/3/1957, p. 3; ‘Kamo Memorial’, Northern Advocate, 8/5/1957, p. 15; ‘Kamo Memorial Hall Plaque’, Northern Advocate, 23/5/1957, p. 11.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Kamo and District War Memorial Hall

What do you know?