Mauku Victory Hall

Mauku Victory Hall Mauku Victory Hall Mauku Victory Hall Mauku Victory Hall Mauku Victory Hall

On 7 June 1922 Governor-General Viscount Jellicoe formally opened the Mauku Victory Hall. The hall was built not as a war memorial, but to commemorate the Allied victory in the First World War. A plaque inside the hall commemorates its opening.

On Anzac Day 1954, Colonel Max Aldred, who 32 years earlier had supplied the Guard of Honour during the opening ceremony, unveiled the Mauku District roll of honour in the hall. This is a framed brass tablet that lists 24 servicemen from the First World War and 23 from the Second World War (with two deaths from each war).

Sources: 'Mauku: Proposed War Memorial', Pukekohe & Waiuku Times, 28/3/1919, p. 4; 'Mauku: Opening of New Hall', Waiuku News, 30/5/1922, p. 2; 'New Halls Opened: Buckland and Mauku', Auckland Star, 8/6/1922, p. 9; 'Mauku Victory Hall: Opened by Governor-General', Franklin Times, 9/6/1922, p. 4; '150 Years of Dedicated Service', Franklin County News, 29/8/1973, p. 21; 'Mauku Hall Gets a Facelift', Waiuku & Districts Post, 9/6/1998, p. 1; The History of Mauku, ed. Andrew Sinclair, Mauku, 2009, pp. 65-6.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Mauku Victory Hall

What do you know?