First settled in 1856, Mauku is a farming locality situated in the undulating country between the Manukau Harbour and the Waikato River, 10km west of Pukekohe. During the Waikato campaign of the New Zealand Wars in 1863-64 a stockade was built there and the town's church was fortified and loopholed for rifles.

Meaning of place name
Lit: small ground ferns.