Tītī Hill NZ wars memorial

Memorial detail detail image

On 23 October 1965 a concrete memorial cairn commemorating the battle of Tītīi Hill was unveiled alongside the Waiuku to Pukekohe road, near Mauku. The event was organised by members of the Franklin Historical Society.

The plaque on the cairn was worded as follows (in capitals): 'Titi. / Eight Europeans and / an estimated sixteen / Maori warriors / died fighting here / in the Waikato War / 23 October 1863'. Papapokaia Kaihau, representing Tainui, and Margaret Crisp, a descendant of one of the participants in the battle on the Government side, undertook the unveiling.

Sources: 'Memorial Cairn at Titi: Ceremony on Saturday Recalled Battle in 1863', Franklin Times, 27/10/1965, p. 1; 'Laying of Wreath at Titi' [photograph], Franklin Times, 8/11/1965, p. 1; Nigel Prickett, Landscapes of conflict: a field guide to the New Zealand Wars, Auckland, 2002, pp. xvii, 74.

See also: Mauku NZ Wars memorial.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Tītī Hill NZ wars memorial

What do you know?