Skip to main content

Te Rangihaeata's pā at Pāuatahanui

Image

This ground plan of Te Rangihaeata’s pā at Pāuatahanui shows two rows of palisades, a six-foot-deep ditch, several whare, an open yard and a chapel. The sketch at lower right shows the outer palisades, which were over 15 feet in height. The holes near the ground were probably for firing through.

A series of British raids on this pā, built on the site where St Alban’s church stands today, forced its abandonment. More than 300 Ngāti Toa, including women and children, withdrew north to a ridgetop east of the Horokiri Stream that is now known as Battle Hill. The abandoned pā was turned into a British military post from which detachments of regular troops protected the Europeans who settled around the inlet. 

Credit

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: DW-1163
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image

How to cite this page

Te Rangihaeata's pā at Pāuatahanui, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/te-rangihaeatas-pa-pauatahanui, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated