Skip to main content

Wesleydale mission station at Kaeo

Image

Wesleydale was New Zealand’s first Wesleyan mission station, established at Kaeo in 1823.

This watercolour was painted by Daniel Tyerman the year after the station was established, and it shows the mission buildings dwarfed by the surrounding trees (probably kauri) and jagged hills.

The view is from above, with the mission buildings and fences to the right, the Kaeo River and exaggerated surrounding peaked hills.

Credit

Alexander Turnbull Library,
Reference: A-263-001.
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa must be obtained before any reuse of this image.

How to cite this page

Wesleydale mission station at Kaeo, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/wesleydale-mission-station-kaeo, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated