Woolston war memorial pavilion

The memorial after the Feburuary 2011 earthquake:

The Woolston First World war memorial was a sports pavilion erected in the Woolston Domain. It was originally referred to as the ‘Fallen Soldiers’ Pavilion’ but was erected in memory both of the fallen soldiers from the borough and in honour of those who served during the war. It was opened by the Mayor of Woolston, Mr McGregor B. Wright, on 15 October 1921. He also unveiled an oak tablet attached to the front wall of the pavilion which listed the names of 32 men who had died. 

The single-storey brick and roughcast building contained men’s and women’s dressing rooms, a kitchen and dining-hall, and conveniences. A verandah ran around three sides. It seems to have been used mostly by cricketers, and became generally known as the Woolston Memorial Cricket Pavilion.

The pavilion was badly damaged in the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake. It has since been restored and was reopened on 8 June 2015.

The whereabouts of the roll of honour is unknown, but the names are listed on Kete Christchurch.

See: ‘Woolston War Memorial’, Press, 26/5/1921, p. 4; ‘Woolston War Memorial: Foundation Laid’, Press, 22/8/1921, p. 8; ‘Woolston War Memorial Pavilion Officially Opened’, Press, 17/10/1921, p. 5.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Woolston war memorial pavilion

What do you know?