Skip to main content

Ōtāhuhu RSA Memorial Hall


On 28 April 1956 the Ōtāhuhu-Papatoetoe and District RSA formally opened its clubrooms and memorial hall in Queen Street, Ōtāhuhu. During the ceremony a roll of honour listing the men of the district who had made the supreme sacrifice was unveiled.

The building was dedicated to the memory of those who had served in both world wars. However, the roll of honour listed only names from the Second World War.

These names were listed on the honours board in no discernible sequence and are here transcribed in alphabetical order: K.A. Aiken, C.E.J. Aitcheson, C.G. Atkins, W.G. Bain, R. Bennett, C.A. Bisman, M.B. Bluck, D.J. Box, J.G. Broad, J.F. Budd, C. Chamberlain, E.S. Clarke, L.C. Clews, S.A. Collins, E.J. Colwill, A.R. Cooper, L.D. Evans, G.H. Fenton, C.R. Flood, C. Ford, E.E.C. Gardiner, F. Glendinning, H.G. Grant, R. Fuggle, J.F. Funnell, J.W. George, R.J. Goff, R.W. Griffith, L.W. Hall, B.J. Harris, S.L. Harrison, E.H. Haythorne, B.P. Higginson, D.P. Hogan, S. Hubbard, E. James, G.H. Jensen, J. W. Johns, H.G.D. Keane, J.F. King, J.H. Kirkland, H. Latta, M.E. Lawes, W.R. McComb, K.M. McCulloch, J.K. McDell, J. H. Madigan, J.S. Martin, P. Marx, A.T. Merritt, R. Miles, J.A. Millar, R.R. Moore, D.L. Neal, C. North, J.V. Patrick, J.N. Peart, S.F. Piggin, F.W. Pol, F.C.M. Pope, M.T. Rosevear, W.S.V. Rush, W.S. Sharpe, R.A. Smith, L.B. Speedy, L.W. Streeter, P. Taylor, F.R. Traynor, J.G.G. Turner, F.R. Wagstaff, J.L. Wall, E.G. Warner, I.F. Waugh, E. Westcott, P.T. Wouldes, A.J.C. Wren, J.R. Wyllie.

They included names not only from Ōtāhuhu but also from Māngere East, Penrose and Papatoetoe.

In December 1998, due to declining membership, the Ōtāhuhu RSA sold its building and moved in with the local workingmen’s club. The roll of honour was accidentally destroyed when the RSA vacated the building. Fortunately, the Ōtāhuhu Historical Society preserves a photograph of the roll of honour and a record of the names.

The former memorial building currently (2014) houses a bar and gaming lounge.

Sources: 'RSA Memorial Hall To Be Opened Saturday', South Auckland Courier, 24/4/1956, p. 10; 'RSA Memorial Hall Officially Opened', South Auckland Courier, 2/5/1956, p. 7; Otahuhu Historical Society.


Images: building, Henrietta Alford, 1993 (Otahuhu Historical Society/Auckland Libraries Footprints 05534); roll of honour, Bruce Madgwick, ca 1996

Information: Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2013

How to cite this page

Ōtāhuhu RSA Memorial Hall, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated