Skip to main content

Clive war memorial pool and gates


The Clive war memorial swimming pool was opened in Farndon Park Domain across the Clive River from the town centre after the Second World War. The brick memorial gates at the entrance to the domain incorporated a plaque listing 16  men from the district who had given their lives during the war (this list added one name, Driver A. Bliss, to those listed on the Second World War panels installed on the Clive war memorial in 1947).

The baths were formally reopened after a major refurbishment on 27 April 2014. The original memorial gates remain in place, but a new memorial plaque has been erected beside the pool’s main entrance.


Images: Grant Ancell, 2014 and Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2015

Text: Bruce Ringer

How to cite this page

Clive war memorial pool and gates, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated