Skip to main content

Ōtāhuhu First World War memorial

Ōtāhuhu First World War memorial.

Governor-General Sir Charles Fergusson unveiled the Ōtāhuhu First World War memorial on 25 April 1928. The bronze figure of a New Zealand Mounted Rifleman had been donated to the borough by a local businessman, Alfred Trenwith, and stood on a plinth near the Nixon Memorial at the intersection of Great South Road with Massey Road.

For further information relating to this memorial, see: ‘Borough of Otahuhu: War Memorial Statue', NZ Herald, 13/1/28, p. 10; ‘Otahuhu Memorial: Bronze Statue Unveiled: Governor-General Officiates', NZ Herald, 26/4/28, p. 12; [photograph], ibid., p. 8; A Passing Parade: A Reflection of 150 Years in Otahuhu, ed. Grant Howard, Otahuhu, 1998, pp. 64-5.

SiteStyleOrnamentationUnveiling Date No of Dead
intersectionsoldier  25/4/1928 
Credit

Image: Jock Phillips and Chris Maclean c.1986

Information: Bruce Ringer, Manukau Libraries

How to cite this page

Ōtāhuhu First World War memorial, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/otahuhu-war-memorial, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords