Skip to main content

St Johns Presbyterian Church roll of honour

On 9 August 1923 the Rev. W.J. Comrie, Moderator of the General Assembly, formally opened the new St John’s Presbyterian Church on the Great South Road, Papatoetoe. At the end of the service, a First World War roll of honour was unveiled in the church. This carved rimu board was inscribed with the names of 45 members of the congregation who had seen active service during the war. Three further names were added at a later date, including that of Nurse Ethelwyn Carruth, who had served on board the hospital ship Marama.

Sources: ‘New Church Dedicated’, Auckland Star, 10/8/1923, p. 3; ‘Dedication of Church’, NZ Herald, 10/8/1923, p. 4


Information: Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2013
Image: Jenny Clark, 2013

How to cite this page

St Johns Presbyterian Church roll of honour, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated