Skip to main content

Clevedon

Related keywords

Rural centre on the west bank of the Wairoa River, 40 km south-east of central Auckland. Its traditional name was Te Wairoa.
Meaning of place name
During the Waikato War the place was known as Te Wairoa, or Wairoa South, to avoid confusion with Wairoa in the north. In 1866 the name was changed to Clevedon. The name was chosen by C.W. Stephens, a settler from the Channel Islands, and the schoolmaster, Le Gally, a native of Clevedon in Somerset, England. The local residents, who were predominantly of Scottish descent, did not at first readily accept the name.