The Taranaki tribe’s coastal Tātaraimaka pā was seized in 1818 by a northern war party which used muskets for the first time in Taranaki. Beside the pā is the site of St George’s redoubt, built in 1863 after the block was re-occupied by British troops. Buried there are 28 Māori killed during the battle at Katikara in June 1863. The sites are historic reserves.

Meaning of place name
Named by Turi, a Māori explorer, as this was where he first heard voices on his journey from Kawhia to Patea.

Images and media for katikara