A Wellington suburb. Ngaio grew after the opening of the Wellington–Manawatū railway in 1885. In the 1920s the Railways Department built a housing settlement in Tarikaka Street, which is now a heritage area.

Meaning of place name
A native tree. Sir William Fox built his home here and called it Crofton. He later built another house called Crofton at Marton, so to avoid confusion the name Crofton in Wellington was changed to Ngaio on 12 August 1908.

Images and media for ngaio