Lounge on the Captain Cook immigrant ship

Lounge on the Captain Cook immigrant ship

The corridor lounge on the port side of the Captain Cook. 

The Captain Cook brought assisted immigrants to New Zealand via the Panama Canal from 1952 to 1960.  See Wikipedia entry and community contributions below for more information.

Community contributions

150 comments have been posted about Lounge on the Captain Cook immigrant ship

What do you know?


Posted: 11 Jul 2020

Sailed on the Captain Cook from Glasgow to Wellington in March 1955 via the Panama Canal. Great fun for a six year old boy. The day after arriving we sailed to Lyttelton on the Maori and then went to Roxburgh Hydro for two years. Then to Wairakei and Taupo. Loved growing up in New Zealand. Been in Australia since 1975.

Paul Kerr

Posted: 03 Jul 2020

Jacqueline please contact us, using the following email, as you were on the same sailing as our mother and we are hoping to hear of memories, stories and to hopefully get to see some photos of your sailing, for our family research - [email protected] - thank you.

John Lowe

Posted: 01 Jul 2020

I sailed aboard the "Captain Cook" in 1956 but unlike most others I was travelling from Singapore to UK. My father was serving in the British Army in what was then Malaya. After the ship left New Zealand it went to Singapore to pick up returning British Army personnel. Due to the Suez Crisis in 1956 the canal was closed and we had to go via the Cape of Good Hope. We stopped firstly in Cape Town and then Freetown, Sierra Leone, followed by Dakar, Senegal. After 6 weeks we eventually reached Liverpooĺ. I remember the green pistachio ice cream we were served and if Iclose my eyes can still bring the taste to mind. Sadly I had other abiding memories. I cut an artery in my foot and the duty doctor didn't give me penicillin. I was to develop stitch abscess aboard ship. The wound kept breaking open and the artery sprayed blood everywhere. It happened again and again. I was.only 4 years old. The medical staff aboard ship were at a loss what to do. They decided that if they could totally immobilise the foot that would give the wound time to heal. If that didn't work the only option was to amputate my foot. My foot and leg was encased in plaster of Paris which fortunately worked. My parents were glad.when the 6 week voyage finally ended.

Denise Selchouk (nee Drew)

Posted: 07 Jun 2020

On 17th June 1953 we sailed from Southampton to Wellington, New Zealand, on the TSS Captain Cook and the voyage took 6 weeks. I had just turned 9 y.o. and my Mother and Stepfather were
joining a sister of my Mother and her family who had sailed from the U.K. previously. When we entered the Suez Canal, a young Mother was taken off our ship, by stretcher, as she had contracted Polio and I remember the heart wrenching sobbing of her young son as he accompanied her down the ganplank to a hospital in a foreign land. Although our ship was quarantined, as a young girl I was never bored during our voyage and looked forward to the arrival gift of a bicycle, my parents had promised. I remember my Mother calling me to view the first sighting of New Zealand. As I stood on deck, looking at the mountainous outline, I wondered how on earth I would be able to ride my bike up and down the terrain. On board I remember my parents being friendly with a Scottish couple and their young son, with the surname Forsyth. On disembarkation we travelled to Hamilton by train for the reunion with my Aunt and Uncle who then drove us to their new home in Tokoroa.
According to an online record I found years ago, it was a Captain James Cook who was master
of that voyage.

I read that Eileen Lewis (Chadwick) was also on that sailing, according to her post of
26/6/16. I was passenger listed under my Stepfather's surname: Denise Codd.

John Thompson

Posted: 06 Jun 2020

My family sailed on this ship to nz in 1952. We were from Liverpool and our family consisted of mum , dad and my sister and I . We did not know anything about NZ and still don’t know where they got the courage to set out on this a venture with 2 children under 4 . I don’t remember anything of the voyage other than we landed in Wellington and caught the train to:Auckland. My parents passed away years ago and my family moved to Brisbane , my brother is in Perth and my sister is still in NZ . Emigrating was the best thing they ever did

Andrew Morrison

Posted: 02 Apr 2020

Have not been on this forum since , October 2018 , but with a lot more enforced 'home time' due to the current world health crisis we all find ourselves in at the moment , I have found two things that might be of interest. First is a recorded interview , with the now sadly deceased Secretary/Treasurer of the 'Captain Cook Club ' Alan Chaddick . Alan came out on the Captain Cook on one of the passages my father served on. It is 'The ten pound pom' -oral interview , by Stuart Birks , Manawatu Heritage. The second is a book 'From the other end of the Word' edited by R.K. Dean published by GWW Services and features the accounts of passengers who sailed on the Captain Cook between 1952 and 1955. It also includes the experiences of those who came out on other vessels right up till 1965.I found Carol Symingtons story of particular interest as she sailed from Glasgow on the 10th December 1952 , which was my fathers first run out on the Captain Cook.Like Him she remembered the 'man overboard'incident


Posted: 18 Mar 2020

My name is Jacqueline Carter nee Barrett. I arrived aged 7 with my brother aged 5 and my mother and father from Middlesex England in June 1958 on the TSS Captain Cook. Our family settled in Dallington Christchurch. Everyone else in the family is now deceased .

Tony Bishop

Posted: 06 Jan 2020

We arrived in Wellington in December 1956, we were the largest family to be allowed to emigrate from England, we were a family of seven. we had a pretty rough voyage from Glasgow until we neared the Panama canal, we caught the tail end of a hurricane. After that it was plain sailing to Wellington

May Kramer

Posted: 22 Dec 2019

I Emigrated to Montreal from Glasgow in May, l955 aboard the Captain Cook.Is there anyone
out there who was on the ship that year?
On board were a few returning Canadians but for the most part Scottish (and some English) emigrants. Many of them were ex-servicemen, their wives and small children. I was one of the few single people on board. I was seasick for the first two days of sailing. The ship's doctor looked in on me but was of no help. A kind man gave me a glass of whiskey, which cured me sea sickness.

Andy Klyen

Posted: 27 Nov 2019

Hello everyone, my parents Lewis Klyen and Faith West both came to New Zealand on the Captain Cook in the late 50s under the £10 assisted program. They were on the same voyage but only new each other vaguely meeting again later and marrying. My mother helped entertain people by singing apparently and I have a couple of pictures of my fathers ‘crossing the equator’ fancy dress costume if anyone is interested. After marrying they moved to Taupo where I was born. Great to find this forum. Thanks everyone.